Monday, November 3, 2008

FOOTPRINTS: A Real Lesson

It was so real, indeed! I never knew our trip to Real, Quezon would bring realizations about myself, my faith, and my life journey. It all started when we wanted to have a first hand account of what to expect in Quezon so that we can prepare if we will deliver our relief goods for the victims of several typhoons that hit the province, especially Real, Infanta and Nakar Quezon. Deeply moved by the situation, I did not hesitate to join with bottled water, a couple of crackers, an extra shirt; a new boots, three hundred pesos and a large fries on hand expecting everything will go smoothly.



BROKEN DREAMS. Nature’s wrath took its toll as it destroyed hundreds of houses and killed many people in Quezon Province.
A Roadless Travel

We arrived in Magsaysay, Sinilaon, Laguna around 10 am. There we met other members of the group who volunteered to trek to Real to deliver goods for Infanta and Nakar, Quezon. The plan was to transport relief goods to Maragondon, Real, Quezon and bring them to Ungos, Real, Quezon. After our lunch in Maragondon, we started to trek to bring the goods to the people. I was carrying three “trapals” and wore my new boots. Along the way, you would see the remnants of the disaster that hit the province. The once serene view of Sierra Madre Mountains is now a picture of hopelessness and suffering. There were portions in our trail that I thought part of the mountain but I realized it was part of the national road going to Real, Infanta, and Nakar. Pile of rocks, logs, thick mud and even dead bodies surrounded the affected areas. You really have to be careful in walking so that you will not fall on thick mud or in the cliff.
PARADISE LOST. A once serene view of Sierra Madre Mountains is now a remnant of other people’s greed and abuse of our environment.
I did not know what to do when my left leg fell on think mud. I asked for help because it was very hard to pull my leg. When I saw two men, I just humbly asked them to help me and I was very thankful because they did not hesitate. There were also some parts where you have to cling on the roots just to cross thick mud. As I try my best to cross this area, people behind us shouted that rocks were falling. When I looked behind me, I saw three to four big rocks that anytime could kill one of us. The rocks that fell were five persons behind us. Most of us panic but I tried to my best to carry my stuff because I thought it is important. One radio reporter suffered a minor injury but thank God we were all safe. As we reach Barangay Tignoan, I noticed the pile of logs that jammed the bridge. It was unimaginable how these logs were trapped there. The locals told us that during Typhoon Winnie, the flood was above the bridge. Unimaginable, indeed! After we cross the bridge, we stopped at the school to rest and arrange boats going to Barangay Ungos.

A ROADLESS TRAVEL. People from different walks of life pass by one of the landslides just to get relief goods in Brgy. Maragondon, Real, Quezon. Others trek just to deliver goods in Tignoan, Real Quezon and other areas.
Paradise Lost?

On our way to Tignoan, I noticed there were many people walking. Some were going to Tignoan to bring relief goods while some were going to Maragondon just to get relief goods. Barangay Maragondon became a temporary staging area of the military for relief operation. People went to us to beg for food. I was hungry that time and seeing these people in need, I realized I have to be strong for them. I need to have energy because I knew the travel would not be easy and there were more people inside the town that need relief.

During our trek, I saw one lady who was carrying two big bags on her back and two big plastics. She told me she is from Manila and she and her husband will visit their relatives in Infanta, Quezon to bring some clothes and food because they are now starving. I saw in her eyes her genuine concern and her determination to get there. I realized that I was just carrying a bag of flashlights and yet I was already complaining to myself.


A REMINDER TO ALL. Logs in the neighborhood of Brgy. Tignoan, Real, Quezon remind people of the importance of trees.
Bayanihan was also evident. Elders, ladies and children were being assisted by other people as they struggle to cross the road full of thick mud. I was moved by the images that I started to assist people who had a hard time walking. As I helped people cross, one man said loudly, “Kaya nyo yan! Kami nga nakaya namin kayo pa kaya?” I smiled when I heard his words of encouragement. I did not expect that a person who is in the lowest point of his life would still feel a sense of hope. I used his statement as my personal mantra that time and when I encountered another man who hopelessly sighed and said, Hay! Buhay! I just smiled and said, “Masarap pong mabuhay!” He smiled back at me.
The images that I saw made me think that this paradise is lost but I knew that behind the ruins, cries and suffering, there lies the survivors who believe that there would still be life after this.



LOG JAM. It’s unimaginable how these logs were trapped in a bridge in Brgy. Tignoan, Real, Quezon.
Becoming One of Them

After our much deserved rest in Brgy. Tignoan, we went to the seaside to ride a boat going to Brgy. Ungos. This barangay was the only area that was not affected by the typhoons and will serve as a staging area of donations for Infanta and Nakar members of the charismatic community. Getting there was not easy since it was raining and waves were very big. As we wait for our boat, I started to worry for I thought going there would be tough and I did not have a life jacket. I did not know what to do when I reached the boat. All my things were wet and I thought we were in a brink of loosing our lives. During the whole trip, I was just looking at the inner side of the boat waiting for the worse. I started to bargain for my life. In every waves that hit the boat, I remembered everyone close to me; my family, my friends, my classmates, and the volunteers among others. I tried to remember all the happy and sad moments that we spent together and it made me realize I still want to live.



Members of our armed forces helping evacuate victims
When we finally reached Brgy. Ungos, we hugged one another and just simply sighed, “God is good!.” We were not able to go back to Tignoan because the weather was very bad and the boatman run out of gasoline. Soaked in seawater, we were desperate to change our clothes. It’s a good thing that there were kind locals who lent shorts to us and even offered their houses if we have no place to stay. It was ironic how the relief operation volunteers became the ones who needed relief.
The next morning, the group decided to return home by taking a boat going to Mauban, Quezon for it was impossible to return to Tignoan and take the same route. The sea was calm and we were optimistic that we can go home. Everyone was happy as we travel but during its course, we noticed that there were many logs in the sea that anytime could bump in every boat that will pass the area. All of a sudden, there was one huge log that bumped on our boat. We ignored the incident until the boatman stopped at the middle of the sea. He said rain will start to pour and waves might hinder us from arriving safely in Mauban. The boatman might be telling the truth for during that time, strong winds hampered us from sailing smoothly. This made me worried again but this time more prepared for anything that could happen. I just hoped that if the boat will sink, it will happen where there are many logs so that we can cling into it since we did not have enough life jackets. I prayed that the logs that killed hundreds of people would save us from drowning.
We then realized that the reason why we returned was because the log that bumped damaged the boat and water was starting to flow at the back as the crew tried their best to remove the water. One army member who was with us in that trip already contacted their station for a possible rescue.

As we were very desperate to go home, we took our chances in the Port of Real and ask the navy if we could possibly hitch in their ship going to Mauban, Quezon. The navy’s ship is being used to deliver relief goods and other equipments from Mauban to Real, Infanta, and Nakar, Quezon. I was surprised when I saw an exodus of hundreds of people who were also waiting to ride the ship because most of them wanted to leave their place and look for other opportunities in other areas or live with their relatives. It was fortunate that the navy accommodated us all. In every corner of the ship you would see different faces of suffering, grief and desperation. Most of us were very hungry, tired, and needy just like us. There were many people who started to feel dizzy because of fatigue and bad weather condition. Most of us shared what we have just to get rid of our condition that time.
I also started to get dizzy and was on the brink of vomiting. I have not eaten lunch and only had a piece of bread and coffee for breakfast. There was one time when I was sleeping when the heavy rain fell and big waves started to bump our ship. Due to hardship that we felt that time, tears started to fall from my eyes. It was the time when I did not question anything that I saw and felt.
As we finally reached the Mauban Port, I realized that at some point we experienced what the people of Quezon experienced. It was really tough. At some point you wanted to breakdown but the people around you made you think otherwise. This gave me a clearer picture of how people struggled during the typhoons, grieved for the lost of their loved ones and managed to go on with their lives.
Faith Experience
We had an opportunity to have a small sharing about our experiences when we were in Ungos. I told everyone that the reason why I survived was because of their faith. Their attribution of all things to God constantly reminded me that faith would move mountains, calm seas and touch hearts. They did not worry for they believe that God is always here for us even in our lowest point. I was crying sometimes because I did not understand why these happened but their community’s perspective reminded me that there is a reason for everything and all you need to do is to trust God.


To Live is to Cherish
It was an experience worth holding onto for it made me a renewed person. It also helped me realize that part of valuing life is stewardship. We must love the environment as much as we love ourselves and I believe we must start now. The logs that ravaged Quezon and other provinces are constant reminder to everyone and it will happen again unless we start caring for our environment.
Our so-called sufferings during our stay in Quezon might be over but the images and stories of people remain and continue to challenge us to take part in the process of rebuilding their lives. Hope we continue to extend our hands to them and be a source of hope. Let us constantly remind one another of the importance of faith even in this trying time. Let us continue to do all our actions for the love of Him. Live Jesus in our hearts forever!


No comments: